Gluten & Dairy Free Beetroot Chocolate Easter Cake
We all need a treat from time to time – but we don’t need to compromise our health in order to do so! This cake is moist and delicious – with minimal sugars – and uses Beetroot which may seem unusual but adds a natural sweetness and of course plenty of nutrition! It is also Vegan and gluten free!
- 1½ cups Natures Choice gluten free cake flour
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa or carob powder
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- ½ cup beetroot puree (blended cooked skinned beetroot)
- ¾ cup water
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 avocados
- 10 Tablespoons maple syrup
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees. Lightly grease and flour a 9 inch round cake pan.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the gluten free flour, cocoa powder, coconut sugar, baking soda, and salt. Whisk together.
- Add the coconut oil, beet puree, water, and apple cider vinegar. Mix batter by hand.
- Pour batter into prepared cake pan. Bake at 180 degrees for 35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean.
- Let the cake cool in the pan for about 25 minutes, then run a knife around the edges of the cake and invert the pan to remove the cake.
- Allow cake to cool completely before frosting.
- To make the frosting, combine the avocados, maple syrup, and cocoa powder in the food processor. Process until very smooth. Taste it, and add more maple syrup if needed.
- Spread the icing on the cooled cake and then store the frosted cake in the refrigerator.
To make beet puree, peel and chop one or two beets. Place in a pan with enough water to cover. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and cook until beets are tender, about 20 minutes. Let beets cool, then place in a food processor with 1-2 tablespoons of the beet water. Process on high until smooth.
Enjoy and share with family and friends!