Why you should be baking with Almond Flour.
Almond flour is probably one of the most expensive naturally gluten free flours on the market – so why should you choose to use this flour made from ground almonds and not some other gluten free alternative?
Well firstly lets talk about the nutritional benefits – remember that Almond flour is really just made up of Almonds and of all tree nuts, almonds rank highest in protein, fiber, calcium, vitamin E, riboflavin and niacin content by weight.
Of course lets not forget that almonds are rich in energy so whatever you will be baking will be more energy dense – so its advised to eat smaller portions anyway as it is naturally more filling.
Another feature of gluten free baking is that the end result is often dry. Almond flour is wonderfully moist and stays that way. You can also often cook without using any other added fats because of the natural fats in the almond flour itself. Almonds are naturally low in sugars and have a low glycemic index which means the energy from them will be released slowly into your bloodstream.
Natures Choice Almond flour is made from Californian Almonds which are naturally sweet and have been blanched (had the skins removed) before they were ground – which means you get a much more “fluffy” flour like finish which is much better for baking!
Here is a recipe for some simple muffins that you can add different berries or nuts to:
- 110 grams blanched almond flour (about 1 cup)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon honey
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- In a medium bowl, combine almond flour and baking soda
- In a large bowl combine eggs, honey and vinegar
- Stir dry ingredients into wet, mixing until combined
- Scoop about ¼ cup of batter at a time into a paper lined muffin pan
- Bake at 180° for 15 minutes, until slightly browned around the edges
- Cool in the pan for ½ hour
*Recipe from Elana’s Pantry
Almond Flour Bread recipe
- 8 eggs
- 3/4 cup coconut oil melted and ooled
- 3 cups Almond flour
- 1/3 cup Coconut flour
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1-1/2 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Line an 8×4- or 9×5-inch loaf pan with parchment paper and grease.
- Whip eggs until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Meanwhile, sift together the Almond Meal, Coconut Flour, baking powder and salt.
- While the eggs are still whipping, slowly stream in the melted and cooled coconut oil. Fold in the dry ingredients.
- Scoop batter into the prepared pan and smooth top.
- Bake until a tester inserted in the center comes out clean, about 35 – 45 minutes.
- Let cool completely before removing from the baking pan.
*Recipe from Bob’s Red Mill
- Products Used in this Recipe
- Recipe Comments